11.07.2008

Self-Critique

Mood: Awake
Category: Friends

My personal philosophy alllows for many mistakes because I'll try anything once... Well, almost anything.

I thrive on personal experience. Perhaps this makes it difficult for me to take advice.

Sometimes I take it, sometimes I don't.

I'll take it if I respect the source or if the source allows itself to be questioned.

I'm very rational-- perhaps almost to a fault. Some people say I think too much!

My step mother asserted that this quality was the hallmark of my American-ness. If I was a Nigerian child, I would learn from the mistakes of others and blindly obey advice from my elders because they've been there before/seen it all/etc.

But I'm from the school of you do what you do, that's why you get what you got!

I'ma just do me! I'll take my chances.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes, not so much.

I have no shame about it. I live to fuck shit up another day! ;-)

Have you ever known anyone who could not admit to themselves that they made mistake?

For some reason, I happen to know an abundance of folks with this disease...

I personally have no problem admitting I've made a mistake. I know that I'm not above them. I make them all the time. What matters to me is the manner by which I am informed...

If I feel disrespected then, I will really show my ass.

But then I'll take some time, think about it, and then try to do better.

I've noticed however that many, if not most people are very fearful of self-critique.

Extreme cases will invent any excuse or construct an entirely new identity to avoid it.

Self-critque is the only way to grow as a person.

It's kinda like when they make you do critque session in art school.

You set out to learn something or express something. That's your artist statement.

You bring your project and your peers evaluate have you achieved your goal from their perspective.

A lot of ass kissers will just say something like "I like it." or "That's nice." But occasionally people will be generous enough to tell you the truth of what they think.

Many people could not withstand this process and I saw them run crying down the halls of Lulu Childres Hall, never to return again...

Life is kinda like that, too, sometimes.



image by carrie mae weems

*if something even remotely like this happens to you when you look in the mirror i'ma need to you self-evaluate immediately!!! it's all about self-love and self-acceptance, ya'll*





No comments: